So you’re greatly keen to go into marriage photography — or perhaps you’ve made a start. The single problem you are faced with is the equipment: as well as there are a lot of choice.
Firstly, the most significant thing to understand is that the camera and lens is not going to cut it on its own; you are not going to see a mysterious difference. Your photographic equipment can limit you, however at the end of the day it boil down to the photographer.
Now, while considering a camera in wedding photography, you require to measure up your requirements and your means. It all depends upon your budget, however what if you could get it all? Pro-grade camera aside, let’s consider prosumer model.
Full frame bodies are very useful in wedding photography owing to their low-noise capability, the sensor being bigger. 2-3 stops could normally be gained in a full frame body as compare to a normal APS-C dSLR. This mean that ISO 3200 could be used in place of ISO 800 and still have regarding the similar amount of noise, as well as the shutter speed could be raised two whole stops: essential, as weddings are usually conducted in not extremely bright light. If you merely have one camera, it must be a full frame body.
And so we approach to lenses. Look to lenses with extensive aperture (large f/-numbers) as these permit more light in. For example, f/2.8 gains a entire stop in brilliance from f/4. The shutter speed could then be changed to a quicker speed to adapt. The ‘bread-and-butter’ lense for a wedding photographer is 24-70mm f/2.8 plus 70-200mm f/2.8 (IS).
Another main decision is flash. You could choose not to use flash or else not, and the place the marriage is being held in might have their own regulations on that. However, if you are keen on using flash, a speed light/speedlite is a need. A SB800/900 or 580 EX II is preferable, however a SB600 or 430 EX II would also do the trick.
Other photographic equipment to keep in mind:
- memory cards. The most significant thing is to get plenty of memory; fast cards could help if you desire to capture that moment (plus not miss), using constant shooting. Make certain you have sufficient memory to cover as a minimum 600 shots: how many gigabytes would depend on whether you shoot RAW or else not, and the megapixel count up of your camera
- tripod. These are totally vital, however they do help. Several photographers decide to employ both a monopod plus a tripod, and several simply use one or the other.
- remote shutter release. utilize this with the tripod for the formals for more steadiness
- lens cleaning material. Brushes, lens pens… whatsoever you use to clean your lense, bring them along. You never know what could happen
- duct tape. Yes, it is true: if it cannot be fixed with duct tape, it cannot be fixed at all! If not, duct tape is still versatile to have along